新概念英語第二冊
Lesson 92 Asking for trouble
1 . but she was fast asleep,但她睡得很熟。
2 . 'My key,' I shouted.「鑰匙!」我喊道。
3 . so I got a ladder from the shed in the garden, put it against the wall,於是,我從花園的小棚裡搬來了一個梯子,把它靠在牆邊,
4 . ' I looked down and nearly fell off the ladder when I saw a policeman.」我向下面看去。當我看清是一個警察時,差一點兒從梯子上掉下去。
5 . 'Your what?' he called.「什麼?」他大聲問。
6 . 'Excuse my interrupting you.「請原諒我打斷了您。
7 . 'So do I,' answered the policeman in the same tone.「我也是的,」警察用同樣的聲調回答,
8 . 'I don't think the windows need cleaning at this time of the night.「我看不必在夜裡這個時候擦窗子吧。
9 . but would you mind coming with me to the station?'但請您跟我到警察局去一趟好嗎?」
10 . I hate to interrupt a man when he's busy working,當一個人在忙著幹活時,我是不願意去打斷他的,
11 . It must have been about two in the morning when I returned home.我回到家時,肯定已是凌晨兩點左右了。
12 . I immediately regretted answering in the way I did, but I said, 'I enjoy cleaning windows at night.'「我喜歡在夜裡擦窗子。」
13 . and began climbing towards the bedroom window.開始向臥室的窗口爬去。
14 . I was almost there when a sarcastic voice below said,當我幾乎到了窗口,這時下面一個諷刺的聲音說,
15 . I tried to wake up my wife by ringing the doorbell,我按響了門鈴,試圖喚醒我的妻子,
16 . 'You see.I've forgotten my key.'「您瞧,我忘帶鑰匙了。」
17 . 'Well, I'd prefer to stay here,' I said.「可我更願意呆在這兒,」我說,
18 . Fortunately, the shouting woke up my wife who opened the window just as the policeman had started to climb towards me.幸運得很,這喊聲驚醒了我的妻子。就在警察開始向我爬上來時,她打開了窗子。