新概念英語第二冊
Lesson 54 Sticky fingers
1 . The children were at school, my husband was at work and the house was quiet.孩子們在上學,我丈夫在上班,家裡清靜得很。
2 . This time it was the postman and he wanted me to sign for a registered letter!這次是郵遞員,他要我簽收一封掛號信!
3 . After breakfast, I sent the children to school and then I went to the shops.早飯後,我送孩子們上學,然後就去了商店。
4 . Nothing could have been more annoying.沒有什麼能比這更煩人了。
5 . At exactly that moment, the telephone rang.恰恰在此時,電話鈴響了。
6 . It took me ten minutes to persuade her to ring back later.我用了10分鐘的時間才說服她過會兒再來電話。
7 . I picked up the receiver between two sticky fingers and was dismayed when I recognized the voice of Helen Bates.我用兩個沾滿麵糊的手指捏起了話筒。當聽出是海倫。貝茨的聲音時,非常喪氣。
8 . So I decided to make some meat pies.於是我決定做些肉餡餅。
9 . I had no sooner got back to the kitchen than the doorbell rang loud enough to wake the dead.我剛回到廚房,門鈴又響了起來,響聲足以把死人喚醒。
10 . What a mess! There was pastry on my fingers, on the telephone, and on the doorknobs.真是糟糕透了!我的手指上、電話機上以及門的把手上,都沾上了麵糊。
11 . In a short time I was busy mixing butter and flour and my hands were soon covered with sticky pastry.不一會兒我就忙著調拌起了黃油和麵粉,很快我的手上就沾滿了粘粘的麵糊。
12 . At last I hung up the receiver.我終於掛上了話筒。
13 . It was still early when I returned home.我回到家時,時間還早。