新概念英語第三冊
Lesson 50 New Year resolutions
1 . but I fended off the taunts and jibes of the family good-humouredly and soon everybody got used to the idea.但我心平氣和地頂住全家人的嘲笑和奚落。不久,大家對我習以為常了,
2 . I sat down at the breakfast table in an exhausted condition.然後坐到桌邊吃早飯,一副筋疲力盡的樣子。
3 . Mentally, at least, most of us could compile formidable lists of 'dos' and 'don'ts'.至少在大多數人的心裡會編排出一份「應做什麼」和「不應做什麼」的令人生畏的單子。
4 . By January 10th, I was back to where I had started from.到了1月10日,我恢復了原來的作息時間。
5 . I still haven't given up my resolution to do more reading.但我還沒有放棄多看些書的決心。
6 . We also make the fundamental error of announcing our resolutions to everybody so that we look even more foolish when we slip back into our bad old ways.我們還犯有一個根本性的錯誤,即把我們的決心向大家宣佈。
7 . I argued that if I spent less time exhausting myself at exercises in the morning,我辯解說,早晨少耗費精力鍛煉,
8 . but on the second, I applied myself assiduously to the task.不過,新年第二天,我全力以赴地照著去做了。
9 . In fact, I have just bought a book entitled How to Read a Thousand Words a Minute.事實上,我剛買來一本叫《一分鐘讀一千字的訣竅》的書。
10 . be nice to people we don't' like, drive carefully, and take the dog for a walk every day.對不喜歡的人友善一些;小心駕車;每天都要帶著狗散步;等等。
11 . One night, however, feeling cold and lonely,可是,有一天夜裡,我感到又冷又孤單,
12 . That was really unsettling,這真叫人不好意思,
13 . If we remain inveterate smokers, it is only because we have so often experienced the frustration that results from failure.如果我們煙癮大,戒不掉,那是因為屢戒屢敗,失去信心。
14 . Most of us fail in our efforts at self-improvement because our schemes are too ambitious and we never have time to carry them out.我們大多數人想自我完善卻遭到失敗,這是因為我們的規劃過於宏大,而又根本沒有時間去實施。
15 . I limited myself to two modest ambitions: to do physical exercise every morning and to read more of an evening.我深知這些問題,於是,今年我對自己的計劃要嚴加保密,只給自己定下兩項適中的任務;每天早上鍛煉身體,每天晚上多看點書。
16 . The New Year is a time for resolutions.新年是下決心的時候,
17 . It was this that betrayed me.正是這副模樣洩露了我的秘密。
18 . We resolve to get up earlier each morning,我們決心每天早晨起得早些;
19 . Little by little the eleven minutes fell to zero.慢慢地從11分鐘減到了零。
20 . That proved to be my undoing, for I soon got back to my old bad habit of dozing off in front of the screen.這下我可完了,因為不一會兒,我就恢復了以前的壞習慣,在屏幕前打起瞌睡來。
21 . After jumping about on the carpet and twisting the human frame into uncomfortable positions,我在地毯上跳來蹦過去,扭曲身子,擺出各種姿勢,弄得渾身不舒服,
22 . The next morning the whole family trooped in to watch the performance.第二天早晨全家人結隊來到起居室看我表演。
23 . I would keep my mind fresh for reading when I got home formwork Resisting the hypnotizing effect of television, I sat in my room for a few evenings with my eyes glued to book.晚上下班回家看書時頭腦更清醒些。有幾天晚上,我極力擺脫了電視的誘惑,坐在自己的房間裡,兩眼盯在書上。
24 . eat less, find more time to play with the children, do a thousand and one jobs about the house,吃得少些;多花點時間與孩子們一起做遊戲;做大量的家務;
25 . Aware of these pitfalls, this year I attempted to keep my resolutions to myself.這樣一旦滑回到那些老習慣上去,我們在別人的眼裡會顯得更加難堪。
26 . Nevertheless,I managed to creep down into the living room for two days before anyone found me out.不過開頭兩天我還是成功地躡手躡腳地來到樓下起居室,被誰也沒發現。
27 . The same old favorites recur year in year out with monotonous regularity.相同的決心以單調的規律年復一年地出現。
28 . An all-night party on New Year's Eve provided me with a good excuse for not carrying out either of these new resolutions on the first day of the year,新年除夕舉辦的一次通宵晚會,使我理直氣壯地在新年頭一天免去了這兩項任務。
29 . Perhaps it will solve my problem, but I just haven't had time to read it!也許這本書能解決我的問題,但我一直還沒時間去看這本書!
30 . The self-discipline required to drag myself out of bed eleven minutes earlier than usual was considerable.這就要求我比平時早11分鐘把自己從床上拽起來,這種自我約束是很艱苦的。
31 . Past experience has taught us that certain accomplishments are beyond attainment.以往的經驗告訴我們有些事是辦不到的。
32 . The time I spent at exercises gradually diminished.我花在鍛煉上的時間逐漸減少,
33 . The daily exercises lasted only eleven minutes and I proposed to do them early in the morning before anyone had got up.早鍛煉一共只有11分鐘,我打算在別人起床之前進行。
34 . I went downstairs and sat in front of the television pretending to read.便來到樓下坐在電視機前假裝看書。
35 . However, my enthusiasm waned.而這時我的熱情卻減退了。