新概念英語第三冊
Lesson 23 One man's meat is another man's poison
1 . I have never been able to look at a snail since then.從那以後,我再也不能看一眼蝸牛了。
2 . Snails would, of course, be the main dish.蝸牛當然是道主菜。
3 . If you lived in the Mediterranean, for instance, you would consider octopus a great delicacy.比如,如果你住在地中海地區,你會把章魚視作是美味佳餚,
4 . My friend, Robert, lives in a country where snails are despised.但我的朋友羅伯特卻住在一個厭惡蝸牛的國家中。
5 . I had forgotten all about the snails when Robert suddenly said that I must stay to dinner.我把蝸牛的事已忘得一乾二淨,羅伯特突然提出一定要我留下來吃晚飯,這才提醒了我。
6 . There are countless people who, ever since their early years, have learned to associate snails with food.有不計其數的人們從小就知道蝸牛可做菜。
7 . Acting on a sudden impulse, I collected several dozen, put them in a paper bag, and took them to Robert.我一時衝動,逮了幾十隻,裝進一隻紙袋裡,帶著去找羅伯特。
8 . As his flat is in a large town, he has no garden of his own.他住在大城市裡的一所公寓裡,沒有自己的花園。
9 . People become quite illogical when they try to decide what can be eaten and what cannot be eaten.在決定什麼能吃而什麼不能吃的時候,人們往往變得不合情理。
10 . I left the bag in the hall and Robert and I went into the living room where we talked for a couple of hours.我把紙袋放在門廳裡,與羅伯特一起進了起居室,在那裡聊了好幾個鐘頭。
11 . To our dismay, we saw that there were snails everywhere:讓人沮喪的是,我們發現到處都是蝸牛:
12 . On the other hand, your stomach would turn at the idea of frying potatoes in animal fat -- the normally accepted practice in many northern countries.另一方面,你一想到動物油炸土豆就會反胃,但這在北方許多國家卻是一種普通的烹任方法。
13 . The idea never appealed to me very much,一開始,他的這一想法沒有引起我多大興趣。
14 . The sad truth is that most of us have been brought up to eat certain foods and we stick to them all our lives.不無遺憾的是, 我們中的大部分人,生來就只吃某幾種食品,而且一輩子都這樣。
15 . but one day, after heavy shower, I happened to be walking in my garden when I noticed a huge number of snails taking a stroll on some of my prize plants.後來有一天,一場大雨後,我在花園裡漫無目的散步,突然注意到許許多多蝸牛在我的一些心愛的花木上慢悠悠的蠕動著。
16 . You would not be able to understand why some people find it repulsive.同時不能理解為什麼有人一見章魚就噁心。
17 . Cooked in wine, snails are a great luxury in various parts of the world.蝸牛加酒燒煮後,便成了世界上許多地方的一道珍奇的名菜。
18 . I did not fancy the idea and I reluctantly followed Robert out of the room.我並不喜歡這個主意,所以我勉強跟著羅伯特走進了起居室。
19 . Robert was delighted to see me and equally pleased with my little gift.羅伯特見到我很高興,對我的薄禮也感到滿意。
20 . For years he has been asking me to collect snails from my garden and take them to him.多年來,他一直讓我把我園子裡的蝸牛收集起來給他捎去。
21 . they had escaped from the paper bag and had taken complete possession of the hall!它們從紙袋裡逃了出來,爬得滿廳都是!
22 . No creature has received more praise and abuse than the common garden snail.沒有一種生物所受到的讚美和厭惡會超過花園裡常見的蝸牛了。