新概念英語第三冊
Lesson 24 A skeleton in the cupboard
1 . but few of us have skeletons in the cupboard.但我們當中極少有人有櫃中骷髏。
2 . It is all very well for such things to occur in fiction.這種事發生在小說中是無可非議的。
3 . You forget that I was a medical student once upon a time.'你忘了我以前是學醫的了。」
4 . The sudden movement of the door made it sway slightly and it gave me the impression that it was about to leap out at me.由於櫃門突然打開,它也隨之輕微搖晃起來,讓我覺得它好像馬上要跳出櫃門朝我撲過來似的。
5 . George studied medicine in his youth.喬治年輕時學過醫,
6 . I opened the cupboard door and then stood in front of it petrified.我打開櫃門,站在櫃門前一下驚呆了。
7 . I decided to hang one of the tow suits I had brought with me in the cupboard.然後我想把隨身帶來的兩套西服中的一套掛到大衣櫃裡去。
8 . We often read in novels how a seemingly respectable person or family has some terrible secret which has been concealed from strangers for years.在小說中,我們經常讀到一個表面上受人尊重的人物或家庭,卻有著某種多年不為人所知的駭人聽聞的秘密。
9 . A skeleton was dangling before my eyes.一具骷髏懸掛在眼前,
10 . The reader's hair stands on end when he reads in the final pages of the novel that the heroine a dear old lady who had always been so kind to everybody, had, in her youth, poisoned every one of her five husbands.當讀者到小說最後幾頁瞭解到書中女主人公,那位一向待大家很好的可愛的老婦人年輕時一連毒死了她的5個丈夫時,不禁會毛骨悚然。
11 . After I had stacked my shirts and underclothes in two empty drawers,我將襯衫、內衣放進兩個空抽屜裡,
12 . 'Oh, that,' he said with a smile as if he were talking about an old friend.「噢,是它呀!他笑著說道,儼然在談論一位老朋友。
13 . Instead of becoming a doctor, however, he became a successful writer of detective stories.然而,他後來沒當上醫生,卻成了一位成功的偵探小說作家。
14 . To varying degrees, we all have secrets which we do not want even our closest friends to learn,儘管我們人人都有各種大小秘密。連最親密的朋友都不願讓他們知道,
15 . The English language possesses a vivid saying to describe this sort of situation.英語中有一個生動的說法來形容這種情況。
16 . He told me to unpack my things and then come down to dinner.他讓我打開行裝後下樓吃飯。
17 . The terrible secret is called 'a skeleton in the cupboard'.驚人的秘密稱作「櫃中骷髏」。
18 . I once spend an uncomfortable weekend which I shall never forget at his house.有一次,我在他家裡度週末,過得很不愉快。這事我永遠不會忘記。
19 . At some dramatic moment in the story, the terrible secret becomes known and a reputation is ruined.在小說的某個戲劇性時刻,可怕的秘密洩漏出來,接著便是某人的聲譽掃地。
20 . The only person I know who has a skeleton in the cupboard is George Carlton,我所認識的唯一的在櫃中藏骷嶁的人便是喬治。卡爾頓,
21 . This was worse than a terrible secret'; this was a read skeleton! But George was unsympathetic.這是比「駭人聽聞的秘密」更加驚人的東西,這是一具真正的骷髏啊!但喬治卻無動於衷。
22 . Dropping my suit, I dashed downstairs to tell George.我扔下西服衝下樓去告訴喬治。
23 . 'That's Sebastian.「那是塞巴斯蒂安。
24 . George showed me to the guestroom which, he said, was rarely used.喬治把我領進客房,說這間很少使用。
25 . and he is very pound of the fact.他甚至引以為自豪。