高三英語課文
Unit 23 The find of the century
1 . I shall never forget that extraordinary evening.我永遠忘記不了那個不平凡的夜晚。
2 . Fortunately we found some that was still dry and carried it back to the cave.幸好,我們找到了一些干木柴,並把木柴抱回巖洞。
3 . We've still got a little food and water and maybe by tomorrow morning the weather will have cleared up.我們還有一點食物和水,也許到明天早上,天就會晴了。」
4 . My parents were visiting relatives, and my grandparents had decided to spend the day at home.我父母走親戚去了,祖父母打算那天在家呆著。
5 . I think we should continue walking as long as we can see where we're going. I said.「我想只要我們能看見我們朝哪兒走,我們就要繼續走下去,」我說,
6 . The cave led back into the rockface and the earth by the entrance was dry.巖洞迂迴延伸到巖面裡,靠近洞口的土是乾的。
7 . Another part of me wanted this moment to continue for ever.我還有另一個想法,就是希望此時能永遠持續下去。
8 . I don't think anyone knows about this. I said.「我想沒人知道這一情況,」我說。
9 . How extraordinary! I said. I think someone has been carving animals.「多麼神奇啊!」我說,「我想有人一直在刻這些動物。」
10 . We talked and wondered about the people who had lived here before.我們談論並且很好奇以前住在這裡的人們。
11 . In fact, I was a bit frightened and didn't know what we should do.事實上我有點害怕,不知道我們該怎麼辦。
12 . I went on walking, bending down because the roof of the cave was not very high.因為洞頂不是很高,我繼續彎著腰往前走。
13 . Funny, said my brother.「真有趣,」我弟弟說。
14 . It almost looks as if someone has drawn it.看起來好像這隻鹿是畫上去似的。」
15 . Light the fire not so near the entrance that the wind will blow the fire out, and not so far in that the smoke will fill the cave, said my brother.「不要太靠近洞口點火,風會把火吹滅的;也不要太靠裡面,那樣煙會充滿山洞的,」我弟弟說,
16 . It follows the shape of the rock.它順著岩石的形狀。
17 . Now I could see a smaller deer next to the one my brother had pointed to.現在我可以看見一隻更小的鹿,它緊挨著我弟弟指的那一隻。
18 . We had lost the path and had no hope of finding it again.我們找不到那條小路,而且也沒有希望再找到它了。
19 . It's very difficult to see where we're going and the shower may pass in an hour or two. Let's rest and have some food.「現在很難看到我們要去的地方。陣雨可能一兩個小時就會過去,我們休息一下吃點東西。」
20 . I could see a snake, a bear, a wolf, but no people.我還看見一條蛇、一隻熊、一隻狼,但沒有看見人。
21 . This evening the cave was ours. It belonged to no one else.今天晚上,山洞是我們的,它不屬於別人。
22 . I was proud that we had come across something that was completely unknown and valuable and,讓我感到自豪的是,我們在無意中發現了不為世人所知的、有價值的東西,
23 . Neither of us realized that night that these carvings and paintings dated back 15,000 years,我們沒有意識到這些刻畫追溯到15,000年前,
24 . It was a Sunday in May. My brother and I had decided to go off for a long walk while we were staying with my grandparents in the French countryside.5月的一個星期天,我和弟弟決定去遠足。當時我們住在法國鄉下的祖父母家中。
25 . We spent some time looking around under the trees for some wood.我們花了些時間在樹下四周找木柴。
26 . A fine rain began to fall on our heads and the temperature had dropped.一陣小雨落到我們頭上,氣溫開始下降了。
27 . If we go downhill, we might find a stream, and if we follow the stream we should reach a farm, or a village or a bridge.「如果我們走下山,我們可能會發現一條小溪,如果我們沿著小溪走,我們會到達一個農場或一個村莊或是一座橋。」
28 . I took a burning branch from the fire and went to examine the rock.我從火堆中拿起一根燃著的樹枝,走過去檢查那個岩石。
29 . I turned the corner and looked in astonishment.我轉了個彎,十分驚奇地看著。
30 . We were in a better position than they were.我們的處境比他們要好。
31 . I think we're lost! What shall we do?「我想我們迷路了!我們該怎麼辦呢?」
32 . The clouds had come down so suddenly we had no warning.烏雲突然出現,我們絲毫沒有覺察。
33 . The flames threw light onto the ceiling of the cave.火焰照亮了山洞的頂部。
34 . I realized that they would be very worried, but that they would trust our good sense, wherever we were.我想他們會很擔心,但是無論我們在什麼地方,他們都會相信我們的處事能力。
35 . On the other hand, I felt sad that I wasn't able to tell my grandparents that we were safe.另一方面,我為不能告訴我的祖父母我們十分安全而感到難過。
36 . Let's think carefully, I replied.「讓我們仔細想一想,」我答道。
37 . You can see shapes on the rock. Do you see that bit?「你可以看見岩石上的形狀。你看見那一小塊了沒有?
38 . I always carry matches with me at such times and I tore out the pages of the first chapter of the book I was reading to get the fire going.在這樣的時候我身上總是帶著火柴的,為了讓火堆燃下去,我從我正在看的那本書的第一章撕下幾頁。
39 . The smoke from the fire rose and found its way outside and the light danced over the roof of the cave.縷縷青煙從火中升起,飄出洞外,火光在洞頂上閃耀。
40 . I'm tired, said my younger brother as he climbed up to join me.「我累了,」我弟弟邊說邊爬上岩石和我匯合。
41 . nor that the headline in the newspaper would be也沒有想到報紙的頭條是
42 . Ok. We can stop here for a time.「那好吧!我們可以在這裡停一下。」
43 . I was so excited that I wanted to tell the whole world what we had found.我激動得想要告訴全世界我們發現了什麼。
44 . The sides of the deer were coloured with a reddish-brown paint.鹿的四周用一種淡棕帶紅的顏色勾勒。
45 . Outside the rain had turned into a storm and lightning flashed over the hills.洞外,小雨已變成狂風暴雨,閃電劃過山崗。
46 . It was like stepping into a secret art museum, in which we were the only visitors.就像是走進入了一個秘密的藝術博物館,我們是館內唯一的遊客。
47 . In front of me was a wall of animals.在我的前面是一面刻滿了動物的牆壁。
48 . We succeeded in lighting the fire.我們成功地點著火。
49 . We were so excited, my brother and I, that we did not get to sleep until very late.我們太激動,以至於我和我弟到很晚才睡得著。
50 . We ate our sandwiches and a bar of chocolate each and began to feel better.我們倆都吃了三明治和一塊巧克力才感到舒服些了。