新概念英語第三冊
Lesson 44 Speed and comfort
1 . always assuming,of course, that the sea is calm.當然,這一切只有在大海風平浪靜的情況下才有可能。
2 . If the landscape is hidden from view, you can enjoy the extraordinary sight of unbroken cloud plains that stretch out for miles before you, while the sun shines brilliantly in a clear sky.如果這種景色被遮住了,你可以觀賞一下展現在你面前的、一望數英里的、連綿不斷的雲海,同時陽光燦爛,天空清澈明朗。
3 . Relatively few people are prepared to sacrifice holiday time for the pleasure of travlling by sea.沒有多少人會為享受坐船旅行的樂趣而犧牲假期的時間。
4 . It is almost impossible to take your mind off the journey.想擺脫開旅途的困擾是很難的。
5 . People travelling long distances frequently have to decide whether they would prefer to go by land, sea, or air.出遠門的人常常需要決定是走旱路、水路,還是坐飛機。
6 . If it is not, and you are likely to get seasick, no form of transport could be worse.如果大海肆虐起來,你就可能暈船,那種難受勁兒是任何一種別的旅行的方式都不會帶來的。
7 . At night, when you really wish to go to sleep, you rarely manage to do so.到了夜晚,你真想睡了,卻很難入睡。
8 . Inevitably you arrive at your destination almost exhausted.一旦抵達目的地,你總是疲憊不堪。
9 . The journey is so smooth that there is nothing to prevent you from reading or sleeping.旅途平穩,絲毫不妨礙你閱讀或睡眠。
10 . You do not have to devise ways of taking your mind off the journey, for an aeroplane gets you to your destination rapidly.你不必想辦法去擺脫旅途的困擾,因為飛機會迅速地把你送到目的地。
11 . Long car journeys are even less pleasant, for it is quite impossible even to read.乘汽車作長途旅行則更加不舒服,因為連看書都幾乎不可能。
12 . But even when such refinements are not available, there is plenty to keep you occupied.即使沒有這些消遣條件,也總是有事可做。
13 . You really see the shape of the land.你確能飽覽大地的風貌。
14 . You can stretch your legs on the spacious decks, play games, meet interesting people and enjoy good food --你可以在甲板上伸展四肢、做遊戲,還能也很見到各種有趣的人,能享用各種美味佳餚——
15 . But nothing can match them for speed and comfort.但就速度與舒適而言,飛機是無與倫比的。
16 . Hardly anyone can positively enjoy sitting in a train for more than a few hours.很少有人能夠真正喜歡坐幾個小時以上的火車。
17 . Even if you travel in ideal weather, sea journeys take a long time.即使風平浪靜,坐船旅行也要佔用很長時間。
18 . An aeroplane offers you an unusual and breathtaking view of the world.飛機上,你可以觀察世界上非同尋常的奇妙的美景。
19 . If you are lucky enough to get a sleeper, you spend half the night staring at the small blue light in the ceiling, or fumbling to find you ticket for inspection.即使你走運弄到一個臥鋪,夜間有一半時間你會盯著車頂那盞小藍燈而睡不著覺;要不然就為查票摸索你的車票。
20 . You soar effortlessly over high mountains and deep valleys.你毫不費勁地飛越高山幽谷,
21 . They also have the disadvantage of being an expensive form of transport.飛機另一個缺點是昂貴。
22 . The real escapist can watch a film and sip champagne on some services.真正會享受的人還可以在某些航班上看一場電影和喝香檳。
23 . For a few hours, you settle back in a deep armchair to enjoy the flight.幾小時之內,你躺在扶手椅上,享受著旅途的歡樂。
24 . but more often than not, the greater part of the journey is spent on roads with few service stations and too much traffic.但旅行的大部分時間都花在路上,而且只有很少的服務設施,交通也很擁擠。
25 . During the day, sleep comes in snatches.白天是忽睡忽醒,
26 . Reading is only a partial solution,看書只能解決部分問題。
27 . for the monotonous rhythm of the wheels clicking on the rails soon lulls you to sleep.車輪與鐵軌間單調的嘎喳聲很快就會送你進入夢鄉。
28 . Travelling at a height of 30,000 feet, far above the clouds, and at over 500 miles an hour is an exhilarating experience.騰雲駕霧,在30,000 英尺高空以500英里的時速旅行,這種經歷令人心曠神怡。
29 . You will not have to spend the next few days recovering from a long and arduous journey.用不著因為漫長的旅途的辛苦而花幾天時間休息來恢復精神。
30 . Train compartments soon get cramped and stuffy.車廂很快就變得擁擠、悶熱,
31 . However you decide to spend your time, one thing is certain: you will arrive at your destination fresh and uncrumpled.不管你打算如何消磨時間,有件事是可以肯定的,即當你抵達目的地時,你感到精神煥發,毫無倦意,
32 . By comparison, ferry trips or cruises offer a great variety of civilized comforts.相比之下,坐船旅行或環遊可以得到文明世界的各種享受。
33 . On motorways you can, at least, travel fairly safely at high speeds,在公路上還好,你至少能以相當快的速度安全地向前行。
34 . Aeroplanes have the reputation of being dangerous and even hardened travellers are intimidated by them.飛機以危險而著稱,連老資格的旅行者也怕飛機。