走遍美國
Making a Difference(當仁不讓) ACT I
1 . Exactly what do you want from me, Mrs. Stewart?究竟對我有什麼要求, Stewart太太?
2 . Your mother is thinking of你媽媽正考慮
3 . I don't believe it!我簡直難以相信!
4 . Cutting the budget is fine,削減預算是好的,
5 . he'll be an important decision-maker他將成為一個重要的決策者
6 . And you are now making news.而你現在就是在創造新聞。
7 . Why shouldn't you run for what, Mom?為什麼, 不該競選什麼, 媽媽?
8 . But what do you care about?但你關心什麼呢?
9 . I plan to get help我打算爭取
10 . Will you help me if I do run?假如我真的競選 ,你會幫我忙嗎?
11 . You can make a difference.你會發揮影響力。
12 . no concert, no stage presentations.沒有音樂會, 沒有舞蹈表演。
13 . so that the people of our town好讓我們鎮上的人
14 . Well, I care about the children of our town.噢, 我關心我們鎮上的孩子們。
15 . I certainly can print the news.我當然可以刊出這則新聞。
16 . I stand for everything Boswell doesn't.我代表Boswell所不贊成的那些立場。
17 . Lots of people are tired of higher taxes.許多人對於增稅很厭煩。
18 . What would you like to see me about?你找我什麼貴事?
19 . on the school board,在聯合校董會中
20 . Well, I'm not sure. Ellen.噢, 我無法肯定, Ellen。
21 . is going to win this seat on the board.穩登聯合校董會董事的寶座了。
22 . He says it's to save the taxpayers' money,他說這是為了要節省納稅人的錢,
23 . Maybe I'll run against him.也許我與他競選。
24 . I can't expect you to take my side against Boswell.我不敢期望你站在我這一邊來對抗Boswell。
25 . and that I care about our children.而且知道我關心我們的孩子。
26 . and I think he believes而我認為他相信
27 . I want to keep the after-school programs--我要保存這些課外活動--
28 . No music, no dance,沒有音樂, 沒有舞蹈,
29 . I'm planning to run for the school board.我打算競選聯合校董會董事。
30 . Who's running against him?誰與他競選
31 . and a new paint job in the schoolrooms.和重新油漆教室。
32 . I'm editor of the most influential newspaper in Riverdale.我是Riverdale最有影響力的報紙的編輯。
33 . But who's going to pay for all of this?但誰來為這些付錢呢?
34 . What's wrong with wanting to be on the school board?想進入聯合校董會有什麼錯?
35 . Do you have a story?你有什麼新聞故事呢
36 . It's not a bad plan.這是個不錯的計劃。
37 . But I do need some publicity但我需要一些宣傳,
38 . Why will the voters vote for you against Boswell,Mrs. Stewart?為什麼選民會投票支持你和Boswell對抗呢,Stewart太太?
39 . you wouldn't need as much money.不需要花多少錢。
40 . But I need some information.但我需要一些資料。
41 . if he spends less on the cultural programs.假如他在這文化活動上減少開支的話。
42 . That's fair enough.這倒很公平。
43 . and keep the cultural programs for our kids.以便為我們的孩子保存文化活動。
44 . I think a lot of people will vote for you我想很多人會投票支持你
45 . I'm serious, Philip.我是認真的, Philip。
46 . Well, if I run for office,嗯 ,假如我出來競選公職,
47 . I think you can make a difference, Ellen.我覺得你可以發揮影響力 ,Ellen。
48 . Why shouldn't I run?為什麼我不該競選?
49 . Well, that is news.噢, 這可是個新聞。
50 . I want our children to learn我要孩子們學習到